I started my Facebook page and blogger with the hopes of sharing my experience of training and completing the Inaugural Dopey Challenge in Disney. Now it shall follow other goals and endeavors in running and fitness.

Wednesday 29 January 2014

And Dopey Begins: Day 1 5k



Family Fun 5k

The first race I ever got my husband to run was the 5k that runs in conjunction with the Wine and Dine, the first RunDisney event I had ever done.  I was so thrilled when he agreed to run with me, as he often says that he does not run.  Since then he has done three (now four after this race), all of which have been RunDisney races.  I’m pretty impressed he does these races with me, as getting up early isn’t really his favorite thing, but I’m glad he does!

That being said, we got up super early and were at the bus stop in All Star Sports a few minutes before the four, when the first bus was supposed to leave.  There was room on the bus that was already waiting, so we got on in our groggy states and I snapped an early morning traditional selfie. 

We got to the race start pretty quickly, which is nice.  I often hear horror stories of how hard it is to get to Disney races with traffic and such, so I make it a point to get on one of the first buses.  We got off the bus and wandered around what we thought was the staging area for a bit.  Turns out that was were the finishing festivities were, but we weren’t really sure.  It started misting/raining so we took cover in one of the gear drop off tents that wasn’t being used for the 5k, and I hunted down a piece of plastic to wrap my phone in, since I was unprepared and didn’t want it to get wet.  Luckily the rain was short lived and we went to the corral without getting soaked. 

I was a little disappointed that they didn’t have any characters at the starting line for this race.  Both Mickey’s Jingle Jungle 5k and the Royal Family 5k had characters that we wasted some time waiting in line for.  Nothing here.  I thought that was odd.

We went to corral A and waited toward the back, knowing that was how they would release us and walk us to the starting line.  While we were waiting there, Z noticed that there weren’t too many 5k bibs around us.  I think we saw like three of them, all of the rest were Dopeys. 

It is always exciting when they release the corral to go to the starting line.  We walk past all of the other corrals and they all start cheering for us as we walk by.  It gets me really excited to run the race.  The National Anthem singer was good, a few people spoke, then Pluto made his appearance and we were OFF!

The first mile to a mile and a half were pretty boring, through parking lots and such.  Z get telling me to go ahead if he was too slow.  He had a terrible cold for a few weeks leading into the race and had little training.  For some reason he thought I would be worried about my time since Dopeys were being officially timed.  But I insisted on staying with him and helping him pace. 
 
Entering the park is always fun.  You come in at the World Show Case and it’s always so pretty, looking at the building and architecture.  They started characters right away, with Dopey being the second one, but we didn’t stop.  Z was really hoping for a decent time, despite having little training, so I ran straight through with him without taking character stops.  Besides, the Dopey line was already really long and I can never convince myself to get in line for pics during a race if it’s going to take too long. 
 
We were doing awesome, Z was on the way to blasting his PR, but then his knee started hurting.  It could have been from the fact that he was wearing new running shoes that weren’t broken in (his luggage was STILL in Tampa), which he bought at the expo.  They didn’t have the kind he usually wears so he tried one that was similar.  Regardless of what caused it, it slowed him down a bit in the last mile.  As we ran by Spaceship Earth and out of the park to the finish line he was hurting really bad, and when we crossed the finish line he JUST MISSED breaking his PR.  Stupid knee. 

They keep you moving after races, even after the 5k. so we got food, stopped for finisher pictures (which is always a pain because you already have water and food in your hands), and then stood in line for pictures with Pluto and Donald.  

We left shortly after that as we had breakfast reservations at Cape May, one of our favorite buffets, and wanted to shower before we left.  There was a pretty long line for the bus when we arrived.  The buses were moving pretty quickly and as soon as one bus was full and moved out, another one quickly took its place, so we were on the road pretty fast.  Overall, a very good race morning!



In case you missed it, Part one and two of my Dopey series:

No comments:

Post a Comment