I started my Facebook page and blogger with the hopes of sharing my experience of training and completing the Inaugural Dopey Challenge in Disney. Now it shall follow other goals and endeavors in running and fitness.

Thursday 21 January 2016

Baby steps

With roughly 30 days to go to the start of The Glass Slipper a Challenge I'm starting to get anxious.  Training is going well, but my goals are so big, that I'm concerned I won't be able to achieve them.  The weekend before Glass Slipper I am running the A1A Half Marathon in Lauderdale, where I am going for a half PR on a relatively fast course.  I've run several long runs in the 1:42 range, which would be a two minute PR, so that seems within my grasp.

The Enchanted 10k is going to be my focus during Princess Half Weekend.  I REALLY want to go sub 45 for my 10 k, and if I can do that I have a chance of placing top three in my age group, which has been my dream for awhile.  So I'm putting pressure on myself just a little bit.

So I've been really aggressive with my training, running paces that many probably wouldn't encourage.  I always feel better if I'm running runs, especially the faster ones, closer to goal paces.  I have gone into races training the traditional way- with slowwwwww easy runs dominating my mileage and have felt flat at the start line.  I trained aggressively for last year 's Enchanted 10k, got a 2:00 PR, and came in fifth in my age group.  So I figured I would try that again this year.

I jumped on my treadmill last night after teaching, ready to go for a fast progressive tempo run.  I like to do pace/quicker runs on the treadmill so I can maintain my pace through out, especially when it's icy and snowy.  I honestly don't mind the treadmill.  I turned my DVR to this week's Biggest Loser and off I went.  

I was pretty happy when I hit 6.3 and saw 44:33!  That's the second time I've gone under 45:00, beating my last time by :26.  Totally where I want to be right now!  Fingers crossed my runs continue to go well so I can build the confidence I need to nail my upcoming races!
Tempo run on the treadmill

No comments:

Post a Comment