I started my Facebook page and blogger with the hopes of sharing my experience of training and completing the Inaugural Dopey Challenge in Disney. Now it shall follow other goals and endeavors in running and fitness.

Thursday 18 February 2016

Princess Expo Craziness

I like my race gear.  I'll admit it.  When RunDisney posted their sneak peak, I gave my husband and mother in law a list of things I wanted (three things- not crazy) and we created a game plan to split up and get them.  We even left for the expo at 4:30 am this morning from Lauderdale to make sure we could check in to our hotel and get to the expo early.  

There was already a fairly long line for Dooneys, packet pick up, and the expo, when we got there.  We went to our prearranged posts and waited patiently.  When they started a soft opening and letting a few people in at a time early I got  excited.  I just wanted to be done with it!


I went to merchandise first, which was actually apart from packet pick up this time.  The hubs and his mom attempted the expo merchandise area.  I got right in after some confusion, bought my three desired items, a jacket for the hubs and got out easily.  Even got my preorder jacket without hassle.  
Preorder:


That was not the case for my tag team partners.  They said it was a madhouse in their section.  Pushing, crowding, and crazy princesses snatching items, depleting shelves faster than the poor cast members could keep up.  Taking multiples of items.  I didn't believe it because my own experience was so nice, but I later saw it for myself.

I had to pick up two bibs and deal with being registered for both the half and Glass Slipper somehow.  I also had an issue picking up my preordered pin, but some amazing cast members helped me with both issues and I was on my way.

When I got to the expo part the hubs mentioned he thought he saw something I would like in the merchandise there so I scurried over.  It was a madhouse.  People everywhere, cast members surrounded by people trying to get items they wanted.  I finally saw the sweatshirt that they hadn't shown on the sneak peak and didn't have in the first area.  I dodged people and luckily saw one on the rack in my size.  I scooped it up and found the end of the crazy long check out line.

While in line I witnessed chaos, discussing it with those around me who only had a few items.  I saw one wine glass fall and break, but I think the woman legitly just dropped it.  I was feeling claustrophobic and anxious- and a little guilty that I was in the middle of this mess.  I hope that my actions didn't screw people up or that I was accidentally rude to anyone like the behaviors of so many around me.  I almost put the sweatshirt back several times and just left.  

I finally got to the front of the line and watched several people buying multiples of items.  I even saw someone spend $1200.  Obviously I began to suspect that many of these items would appear on eBay shortly.  I smiled at my cashier and told her I had just one item- that I'd make her job easy at least for a few minutes.  She smiled back looking frazzled and I felt bad for her.

We stopped to have lunch at the little restaurant in ESPN and then I realized I forgot to grab a poster board from the upstairs area to decorate.  The line for getting back into the expo was so long that I approached the cast member manning the door to see if there was ANY way I could just go and grab a poster board that was RIGHT THERE.  He told me he couldn't stop me but policy was... And I felt bad for him, a little embarrassed that I asked to break the rules.  Not very princess like.  I bet people were yelling at him all day, too.  I told him I would follow the rules and he was appreciative. I bet a lot of people weren't so cooperative based on his demeanor.  After seeing the line I decided the poster board wasn't that important.  I was frustrated and overwhelmed by the crowds.  Maybe tomorrow.

The packet pick up line was out the gate as we left just after 11:40.  This is my third princess and who knows how many Disney races, and I HAVE NEVER seen such ridiculousness.  I really do feel embarrassed to have been there and didn't even really look around because I just wanted to get out.  This very well might be my last princess since I will be finally getting my pink C2C at Tink this year.  I left feeling disappointed in humanity and unhappy- not excited and inspired to rock the races this weekend.  I'm happy that I did get the merchandise I wanted, but almost ashamed, too, and I didn't even do anything wrong.  

That's not to say that everyone was greedy and crazy- I met some very pleasant people today who were considerate and helpful.  I watched awesome cast members work hard to make my experience and other people's days positive.  Unfortunately there were also those who would stop at nothing to get what they want- and those are the ones who tarnished the expo for many.  

I'll conclude with a snap shot of my haul from the expo... But I feel bad even posting this after seeing and reading about the day.  I'm glad to have my keepsakes, but am saddened by the chaos they caused.  

No comments:

Post a Comment