I started my Facebook page and blogger with the hopes of sharing my experience of training and completing the Inaugural Dopey Challenge in Disney. Now it shall follow other goals and endeavors in running and fitness.

Friday 29 April 2016

One week freak out

I used to always question football players when I heard they weren't playing due to turf toe.  Really?  You're making mega bucks and can't play because of a TOE? Toughen up, Buttercup!  



Cue the big toe pain...

I don't know what happened. 

I finished the Flower City Half feeling good.  Confident for Tink weekend.  I did 1 mile Monday and Tuesday to keep my streak alive and 2 on Wednesday.  I was noticing a little soreness in my left big toe, but didn't think much of it.

Yesterday it was still sore, but jumped on the treadmill and ROCKED a short tempo run.  I mean, it was the kind of run where I was flying high and felt like I owned the world.  Epic music played as I finished the run and people cheered for its greatness.



Then my night went on.  Slowly I noticed more and more pain in my toe.  I went to bed thinking that staying off of it over night would make me better, but this morning it still hurt.  Just random motions, and very generalized.  I couldn't pinpoint what hurt.  A day on my feet at school teaching didn't help, though when I got home I was at least able to point to two painful regions.  The top of my toe, one that seemed to run the top tendon, and the ball of the foot immediately under the toe.

Now tonight was supposed to be my last 10 miler before race weekend.  It's killing me not to do it.  Especially after my day at school.  Running is my stress release when my students suffer from justendtgeschoolyearalready-itis. 

 I did 1.5 miles on the treadmill and stopped to play it safe.  I hate doing the "right" grown up thing.  I wanted to continue plodding on.  Honestly, it's not overly painful running, but afterwards it hurts like a beast.  I must say, I apologize to all football players who I ever judged for not playing with turf toe.  

Now Pixie Dust Challenge starts in about one week.  I was planning on racing the 10k hard and the half moderately, with my goal half two weeks after that.  Now I'm worried about being able to run, let alone race.  So I guess for now I'll suck it up and do the right thing, taking it easy and icing and such.  Just hoping my stupid toe will be cooperative next week 😡.


No comments:

Post a Comment