I started my Facebook page and blogger with the hopes of sharing my experience of training and completing the Inaugural Dopey Challenge in Disney. Now it shall follow other goals and endeavors in running and fitness.

Wednesday 27 April 2016

The Flower City Challenge

So the Flower City Challenge in Rochester, NY has come and gone.  I had a great time, but it was definitely challenging!  My first du ended up being harder than I thought and that made the half a little more tiring!  Overall I had a great weekend, it was such a well run race, and I highly recommend it!

The Expo
We went to packet pick up Friday night.  It was in a Fleetfeet store in Rochester.  It was neat because they have multiple rooms, so they were still able to set up a small expo in one room.  There were several vendors, some free samples of GU, and some nice volunteers to help you get your bib and shirts.  They also had some race merchandise, but it was pretty limited in sizes when we got there, so I didn't buy anything.


Day One: The Du
5k run 20 mile bike 5k run

I was very anxious for this race.  Since it was my first I didn't really like not being used to prepping a transition and being so new to the logistics.  Of course it was easy.  The hubs and I snagged a spot towards the one end and set up camp.  As I'm such a newbie, I really had nothing to set up, which took some stress off.


The race started across the streets and guys and girls started separately so I started before the hubs, which meant we raced alone.  I started fast, but the legs felt heavy, so I toned it down.  It was a nice route along the river and my watch had it a little shorter than a 5k, but I was near the front as far as female competitors and was feeling optimistic.

Then I got on my bike.

I don't have a road bike and this race showed me how much harder it is for hybrid bikes out there.  Everyone was flying by me on the course.  I'll admit I was rather under trained, but even at the beginning I knew it was going to be rough.  Then I hit the hills.  

Having trained on flat ground, a few colorful words may have escaped my mouth during some of the climbs.  I would watch people fly by on their nice bikes while I just prayed to get to the top.    
It probably doesn't look too bad, especially if you are a seasoned cyclist, but I swore to someone I'd rather run those hills than bike any day.  

After the bike I was definitely near the back of the pack and it was so cold my feet were numb.  As I started running I felt like a pirate on peg legs, like I was stumping along.  It took nearly two miles to warm up.  I focused on just trying to pick people off and successfully passed some as we went back around the river.  I was so happy crossing the finish line.  They announced that I was going to do the half as I crossed the line, which I thought was a nice touch.

I ended up placing by default, with only two in my age group, and we received nice beer steins with the race logo.  Once I got the award we left, we were both so cold and exhausted from the race.

We kept our bikes up in our hotel room.  It was quite interesting getting them from the parking garage, up some stairs, on the elevator, and to our room on the eleventh floor.  
Our hotel was only a few minutes from the du by car and a five minute walk to the half start, so it was a great location.  Plus it had some spectacular views!

Day Two: The Half Marathon
I love this half.  The volunteers are always super supportive, and it starts next to an arena, so you can hide from the cold and use the restrooms up to pretty close to the start of the race.

This year it was crisp and sunny, perfect running weather.  The sun made it feel so much better than the day before.

I lined up with the 2:00 pacer.  It felt weird.  I'm used to running farther up, but as I was using this as my final long run before Tink and my legs were already tired, I was trying to hold back.  I also didn't run with my water belt- the first half in a long time that I didn't use it.  I walked through water stations, accidentally taking the GU water (which was yummy) a few times.  

The course is nice, lots to look at, and they have neighborhood spirit competitions so there are a lot of spectators out cheering you on.  It gets hilly in the middle, which I wanted since we don't have loads of hills around my house.
At the 8 or so mile mark you get to the Mt Hope cemetery, which is really pretty.  
Shortly after you leave the cemetery you see this.  It made me happy.

You then hit up some bike path until you return to the streets, being greeted by lots of spectators and finishing right near where you started.

They had some chiropractors, pizza and other food, and some merchandise inside the arena.  I took advantage of the chiropractors, who were really nice and thorough, despite all the people.  

The Flower City Challenge is really a great race.  It's well run with awesome volunteers on the courses, great medals and shirts, and a positive and inciting atmosphere all the way though.  I recommend either race!




No comments:

Post a Comment