I started my Facebook page and blogger with the hopes of sharing my experience of training and completing the Inaugural Dopey Challenge in Disney. Now it shall follow other goals and endeavors in running and fitness.

Saturday 16 April 2016

Sunny skies= renewed spirits

Throw back to my first Tink in 2013

It's about time... We are finally going to have a whole weekend with temps into the 60s and sun.  After having such a mild winter, our spring has truly been hiding this year, but waking to the sun shining brightly has put me in a good mood to train.  I've got A LOT to train for, too!

One week from today I will be attempting my first duathalon.  I managed to get out on my hybrid bike (yup, don't even have a road bike) for the first time since last summer on Wednesday.  First I did a 9.3 mile fartlek run since running is still my top priority.  Then I layered up (it was only 45) and went out.  My first 5 miles were into a headwind and made me doubt my ability to do this.  I was struggling through 5, how was I going to hit 20?? My legs felt like lead and I wanted to give up.  Luckily I did a out and back route, so the wind was with me on the way back and I finished my 10.25 with a little more optimism than I started with.  All night my legs felt exhausted, but I never was actually sore, which surprised me. I guess the 10 mile rides I did on my exercise bike really did help.  Heading out for 15 miles today.  I figure if I can get through that, I'll survive next weekend.

Next Sunday is a hilly half marathon.  Yup, following my first du with a half the next day.  All part of the Flower City Challenge in Rochester, NY.  I'm not planning on racing this half at all.  It's just my final long run for Tink.

Three weeks from now is Tink weekend at Disneyland.  I'll be just getting ready to start the 10k.  I was hesitant about my ability to race this event, but my work out last night made me feel better.  I like doing pace work in the treadmill, so I warmed up with 1.25 miles, then did 1 mile at 7:09 pace, followed by .25 at 8:00 pace.  I repeated that four times on an incline of 2% and felt pretty good.  If I could keep near that pace for the 10k I could get a pretty big PR!  

The next day will be Tink half, which is one of my fav Disney races.  Still would like a PR there, but probably not as big as I originally hoped as I am now planning on going hard in the 10k.  I am super pumped about the race now, though, as we just received our bib and corral assignments for the race!  I get to be in corral A!  I've heard a bunch of people in different Facebook groups discussing how they got put in the wrong corral, so I always get worried I will end up that way at some point.  My husband is happy that he will be in B, since no men are allowed in the first corral.  He's hoping to get a PR at this race as well, and since it's only his second half, he definitely has a shot!

So as I type this I've eaten my breakfast and am getting ready to run.  I think I'm staying on the treadmill this morning again for my 15k, despite the sun, in order to minimize the pounding on my legs.  Planning on 10 or so miles outside tomorrow, so not sure my legs can handle that much stress two days in a row.  I like to be extra careful to avoid possible injury.  Now that nice weather is here I need to ease back outside, since I hate running in the cold and hide on my treadmill most of the winter.  

After my run I'll be heading out for my 15 mile ride, then plan on actually relaxing outside with a book.  Here's to good weather and sunny afternoons!

No comments:

Post a Comment